Thursday, June 12, 2008

I done did find this pretty funny and wanted to share it with ya'll. I took the three kids to the local dam and over herd a mom talking to her Friends. By the time she was done I was almost in tears from trying to not laugh out loud and also from thinking of just how true it was!!
When my parents come to visit, as in these holidays, I get flashbacks of childhood. Like when I was a kid, my mother had pat answers and special quips she dished out over and over. One of my least favorites was "Because I said no." I remember thinking what an unfair reply that was to a request.This is my memory of the process:
"Can I spend the night at Vicky's?""No.""Why not?""Because I said no."
Why couldn't she give me a decent reason when turning down my requests? She treats me like a child! She never says that to other adults! Humph!! (sound of feet stomping, door slamming here) I vowed that when I became a parent, I would not repeat the motherizms I grew up with, particularly that one. I would provide reasonable explainations to MY children. Well, I now have children making ridiculous requests and have come to realize that my memory of the discourse between my mother and I was probably not complete. Perhaps it went more like this little chat I recently had with my daughter:
"Can I spend the night at Emily's?"No.""Why not?""Because it's a school night.""But I can go to school with her tomorrow.""No. You'll be up late.""We'll go to bed early.""No. You always stay up late with Emily.""Why not? I promise we'll go to bed early!""No.""Why not?""Because it's a school night.""But what if we promise to go to bed early?""No.""Why not?""BECAUSE I SAID NO!"(sound of feet stomping, door slamming here, punctuated with a loud "It's not fair!" at the end)
Therein lies the Karma of parenthood.
To some of ya'll out there this should sound about right!!!
Big Man Out

No comments: